1. Weigh the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
2. Stir through the suet.
3. Season well with salt and pepper, then add the parsley and thyme (if using).
4. Add water a little at a time - just enough to bring it together into a dough.
5. Divide the dough into 6 sections and roll each into a round ball.
6. Place the dumplings in your stew or casserole, and press down until half-submerged in the liquid. Cover with a lid and cook on the hob or oven for 25-30 minutes until well risen and fluffy.
7. If you want to brown your dumplings a little on top, you can put the casserole dish under a hot grill for a minute or two. Serve immediately.