Fish Tacos Umami Heaven with Green Savina Habanero Sweet Heat Sauce
A good fish taco has it all: It's crispy and creamy; it's spicy and salty. It's got that elusive umami (a savoriness from the protein) that satisfies your taste buds and quells your worst hunger. Neon Cactus (35 Call Ln, Leeds LS1 7BT) put together this incredible recipe for Fish Tacos just the way the should be.
Pre Time And Cook time
Prep Time: 20min
Cook time: 6min
Simple salsa (makes 1 cups):
2 medium Roma tomatoes, finely chopped (alt. Persian mini cucumbers)
3 oz. shallots, finely chopped,
cup flat parsley or cilantro(finely chopped),
1 whole lime juice or to taste(plus extra wedges for serving),
tsp coarse salt or to taste,
Gluten-free fish taco batter:
4 tbsp cassava flour,
1/2 tsp smoked or sweet paprika,
1/4 tsp ground black pepper,
1 tsp baking soda,
1 tsp coarse salt,
2 large eggs(whisk well),
1/2 cup + 4 tbsp ice-cold sparkling water, lime flavor or original no flavor,
2 tbsp avocado oil, (add 1 tbsp extra for a separate batch)
10 pieces 6-inch grain-free Paleo tortilla,
Pineapple cubes, (optional)
Shredded cabbage, (optional)
- Salsa:In a bowl, make simple salsa with ingredients from tomatoes to salt. Gently mix, cover, and set aside in the fridge ready to use.
- Dry ingredients:In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients from cassava flour to coarse salt.
- Fish:Gently pat dry the fish and cut across the grain of the flesh into strips about 1 inch wide by 3-inches long.
- Pre-heat skillet:Preheat a large non-stick frying pan/skillet over medium-high heat until the skillet is well heated. Add 2 tbsp avocado oil.
- Wet ingredients:Whisk eggs in a separate bowl then pour it into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Add sparkling water. Mix well the batter until there are no lumps. The consistency should be like melted ice cream.
- Pan-fry:Dip the fish into the batter. Coat well and shake off a bit and place it into the oil. Pan fry first side about 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish, or until you see a light and thin golden crust. Carefully flip to fry the flip side for another 2-3 minutes. Lay it over a plate and store in the oven to keep warm. Do this in separate batches so to not overcrowd the skillet.
- Assemble:top the tortillas with fish fillets and garnish with simple salsa, avocado, pineapple, and shredded cabbage, if using. Serve with a lime wedge for squeezing.